Wednesday, March 27, 2013

teriyaki


The weather is warming up, which means a whole lot more outside cooking! (side note: I grew up in IL, and we always call it "cooking out" or "grilling." Anders and his family call it "barbecuing," which, to this day, always throws me for a loop. To me, barbecue will always and forever be a sauce. If you are "barbecuing" something you are putting barbecue sauce on it. I still have to think it through every time they talk about it. It's an issue. Please tell me I'm not the only one alone in this...) Anyway, when I was a kid my Mom would make teriyaki for us every so often, and it was my absolute favorite thing to eat on the grill (barbecue). I haven't had it for years, but something made me think of it the other day, and I immediately added it to this week's dinner menu. The ingredients are short and simple, but they pack quite a punch. And I promise it doesn't matter if you want to grill or barbecue, it will taste super delicious either way.

Teriyaki
Serves 4-6

Ingrediants:
3-4 lb chuck roast
clove of garlic, minced
1 tbs brown sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tbs oil
2 tbs water
1/4 cup soy sauce

Directions:
1. Cut the chuck roast into good sized kabob chunks (about 1-2 inches), trimming off any unwanted fat
2. Combine all of the marinade ingredients together and add to a 11x8 inch pan (I actually just stirred them all together in the pan)
3. Add meat, toss to combine with marinade and let sit in the refrigerator for 12+ hours. The longer the better. I let mine marinade overnight.
4. Preheat grill (barbecue) to high. Seer the meat on high for 1 minute on each side, then turn the heat down to medium high and cook another 3-5 minutes (or until desired doneness, we like ours medium rare). Turn occasionally so it cooks evenly on both sides.

Note: We actually put our teriyaki on skewers to make grilling easier, but it's not required. If you use skewers, don't forget to soak them first!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment