Sunday, November 27, 2011

what to do with all that leftover turkey

It's cold and rainy in Seattle today, so it felt right to make something warm and hearty for dinner. While I was in Illinois, my Mom gave me a few recipes to take back home with me including her version of chicken cacciatore. While in college, my Mom and her roommate created this take on the classic Italian dish, so it has been in her recipe box for awhile. Since we had a ton of leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, I figured it would be just fine to substitute it for the chicken in an effort to use it up. I suppose this would make this recipe my take on my Mom's take of chicken cacciatore, but, regardless, it came out great!


Mom's Chicken Cacciatore

1 whole chicken cooked (or leftover Thanksgiving turkey!), shredded
2-3 T. of ghee or butter
1 yellow onion, sliced in rings
2 cups of mushrooms, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 15 oz. cans of tomato sauce
1 cup of chicken broth
spices (oregano, thyme, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes or chili pepper)

Saute the onions, mushrooms and garlic in the ghee or butter until soft.
Place the onion mixture into a deep casserole dish.
Add the 2 cans of tomato sauce, shredded chicken and chicken broth to the dish and sprinkle with seasonings (no need to measure here, just add as much as you like!). 
Stir it all together.
Heat in the oven at 350 degrees until heated through. About 20 - 30 minutes.
Serve over rice, pasta or cous cous.
Enjoy!

*I'm thinking this would also be good with diced green bell pepper and fresh chopped basil. It's one of those recipes that is easily adaptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment